Because it isn't treated as a flaw. Bella still has plenty of opportunities to make friends (which she happily passes, because a lot of people are not Edward), and she can quite easily obtain a boyfriend. Her low selfesteem was not something that ever got in the way of her and Edward's relationship. Therefore, considering the books are supposed to be all about romance, it doesn't count.
There R grat fictionl kharucturz with law selfesteem!!Edit
I agree with you on this point. Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter is an interesting and endearing character because his fears and doubts are actually part of his background. Moreover, he learns throughout the books and eventually grows into a stronger character. On the other hand, Bella's low self-esteem is just a Mary Sue trait, not a flaw. And, as stated previously, her low selfesteem never truly gets in her way, it's just there for Meyer to pretend Bella isn't a Mary Sue.
Wat?!! wut iz wrung with Bela?!!Edit
She has no real reasons for being insecure. Really insecure people have survived traumas or at least have gone through bad experiences. Sure, she can be shy (not that she shows that type of behavior anyway), but really insecure is in a whole different lane. Was Bella ever verbally abused by her mom? Was she bullied at school? Was she bashed by toxic siblings? No! Everyone has always been nice with her so she has no reasons for having such self-esteem issues.
Butt she grews out of hur prbleems!!!Edit
No, she doesn't. She just magically forgets all her issues when she's transformed into a beautiful, graceful, super-powerful speshul vampire. She doesn't have to work or learn; she just gets a makeover. Poof, all of her "problems" are gone within a split second. Shallow, much?
I dare yu naming a better karaktur w1th selfesteem isuws!!!Edit
- Neville Longbottom, of course. He was insecure because he "lost" his parents (they were tortured to insanity and can't recognise their own son anymore, for those of you who don't know) and was bullied by Snape.
- Quasimodo from The Hunchback of Notre-Dame (any version). He was ugly, orphaned and an outcast. On top of that, Frollo (the supposed father figure in his life) actually told him these things.
- Tara Maclay from Buffy the vampire slayer. Her dad was abusive.
- Bastian from The Neverending Story. He was bullied by kids and missed his dead mother.
- Scieszka from FullMetal Alchemist. She felt guilty about being unable to get a job and help her mom.
- Magrat Garlick (Discworld). No traumatic event but the other witches treated her like a child for years and she felt "crushed" by their charismatic personalities.
- Carrie White (Carrie). She was heavily bullied at school and was abused by her religious fanatic mother.
- Melinda Sordino (Speak). She was raped at a party and was shunned by her classmates for calling the cops at said party.
- Sidney Jenkins (Skins). He's forever being compared to his best friend, who's smart, popular, dating the girl he likes and a secret douchebag. His father considers him a waste of space and continually brings him down.
- Meg Griffin: is basically crapped on at school and at home.
- Claireece "Precious" Jones: she is obese and illiterate, horribly abused by both of her parents, and has two children with her own father.
- Mrs Brisby (The Secret of NIMH): she has lost her husband, her son is dying and her home is about to be destroyed by humans.
- Daria, Stacy and Mr O'Neill (Daria). Daria is an outcast and Stacy is emotionally bullied by Sandi. Mr O'Neill's issues are not explained but unlike Bella, he ACTS nice, which makes him genuinely endearing.
- Nina (Alphas). She feels guilty for abusing her powers all the time, yet she can't stop using them because they're addictive. She only pretends to be confident.
- Hinata Hyuuga (Naruto). Her father deemed her unworthy of holding the title of the heiress of the Hyuuga clan and would only bring shame to the clan.
- Momo Yaoyorozu (My Hero Academia). Her pride began to fall due to her loss against her match against Tokoyami, and got worse when she starts comparing herself to Shoto Todoroki.
- Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica): Madoka is always unsure of herself due to the belief she is useless, but all this happens to be Homura's fault because it's revealed she did, only Homura reset the timeline but Madoka saved them all in the end